Thursday, August 2, 2012

Her Island Destiny by Annie Marshall



Present Day:
Isla MacKinnon, also goes by the call sign Valkyrie. She is a helicopter pilot for the US Army who loses all her passengers and crew when she is attacked and crashes. As the only survivor, she feels guilt and instead of going back to work as she would like, she is made to take R&R. Isla heads to Scotland for her much needed time away. When she decides to take a walk on the beach, she ends up in the turbulent water and is unable to free herself. Trapped, Isla gives in and blacks out in the water, resigning herself to death.

Scotland 1296
When Laird Cian MacKyleakin , also known as the infamous Wolf of Moal loses his betrothed to suicide, he is saddened and confused at what he will do to hold onto his birthright. Edward the Longshanks has declared that only pure-blooded Scots can retain their property in Scotland and since Cian has descended from Vikings as well as Scots, all may not be well. Especially since he has Laird MacAlpin breathing down his neck just waiting to steal Cian's home from him and wage a war on the MacKyleakins

When he and his men find the barely alive Isla in the rough waters, Cian saves her from the surf only to be immediately attracted to the waif. From deep within he feels the need to protect the woman he doesn't even know. When Isla regains consciousness and finds herself not in an impossible dream, but really in Scotland, she struggles to remain sane. When she is told that she is THE Mackinnon, and the only female of the clan able to join with Laird Cian she fights tooth and nail to retain her composure as well as herself, but the growing bond between the two is unbreakable. All Cian wants is for Isla to say she loves him as he has so resigned to do from the start.  Isla is terrified that once she admits what her heart already knows that she will be trust back into her time destined to be alone again. In addition, a war is coming and she would be caught right smack in the middle of this mess

Annie Marshall has brought forth the impossible and made it a possibility. When you read Her Island Destiny you are transported the reader from a modern cottage on a Scottish Isle to turbulent times in Scotland of old, where men took what they wanted whenever and however they pleased. I loved how Isla quickly came to the realization that she was in fact back in 1296 and she didn't whine about it, she took action. Laird MacKyleakin, striking and possessive, knows what he wants, and it's Isla. I love how his quick manipulations bring action and he he knows how to touch on nerves. Your heart just goes out to him when you know all he wants is for Isla to love him as much as much as he loves her.

Once I picked up this story, I found I could not put it down. Annie Marshall goes right to the heart of it, grabs you and doesn't let you go. I have never read a time travel historical like this before. It is a novelty to me, I thought I wouldn't be interested, and I was glad  I was wrong, especially after such an awesome surprise ending and the very memorable line, "Where ye go, I go". LOVED this book, can't wait for more.
Thank you Annie Marshall....

~KIMBERLY~

5 Stars (Hook Line and Sinker)


Hello all! I enjoyed this book so much, I wanted to let me lovely followers and friends know a bit about Annie Marshall. So today's AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT is on this lovely lady and so talented writer.


 
Hi Annie and welcome to Book Obsessed Chicks. I am happy to have you here. Her Island Destiny was actually my first read of yours. I was so impressed that I have already downloaded the rest of your books. Please tell us a  bit about Her Island Destiny and a bit about yourself!

1. What inspired you to write this book?
The idea for "Her Island Destiny" (and the other books) came from the fact that I wanted to show that our women in the Army are strong, courageous, and fierce when they need to be but still have a soft and sensual side to them.  After all, they are women.  And of course, dropping them into the middle of medieval Scotland puts them to the ultimate test especially when confronted with their own alpha males. Truly, it’s my heroines who prove to be the Warriors of Destiny.

2. Did you have problems with finding a publisher?
Even before I decided to submit a manuscript to a publisher, I belonged to the DCL Publications fan yahoo email list.  When the time came to submit, it felt right that I send them my manuscript for my short story of “Her Highland Destiny.”  I was elated when they contacted me to give me the news that HHD was accepted! 

3. Who are your mentors?
Deborah MacGillivray, Tess Mallory, and Bertrice Small are three of the best mentors I could ever have!  All three have been so supportive of my career and are excellent sounding boards when I hit a wall.  They offer me encouragement and I feel blessed beyond measure to have them in my life.

4. What does your family think about you being an author?
My husband teases me about writing romance novels but I know in his own way, he’s proud of me.
My thirteen year old daughter thinks “…it’s so cool…” that I’m a published author.  She has even followed suit by writing fan fiction about some of the books that she’s read.  It makes me proud to know that she enjoys writing too.
Now, my teenage son is on the fence at times because he knows that romance books mean “kissing and mushy stuff.”  But I’ve overheard him bragging to his friends about his “Award-Winning and Best-Selling Mom!”  I have two of the greatest kids in the entire world.

5. Does your husband read your work?
Ha!  No he doesn't.  Romance is just not his genre.  If it’s not a Star Wars novel or an Army manual, he just doesn’t read it.  I imagine he feels it would ruin his manly reputation if he did.  You know how these guys are.  He enjoys reading too so one day when he runs out of things to read, I figure I’ll be able to get him to read my books then.

7. Dream job?
I was lucky that when I was sixteen, the very first job I had was one of my dream jobs and that was as a lifeguard.  There are several other things I’d love to do now but out of everything, a tour guide in Scotland would be a dream come true!  (Ooooh that gives me an idea for another book!  Pardon me while I jot a few notes down.)

8. Who are your favorite authors? Books?
Of course there is Deborah MacGillivray, Tess Mallory, and Bertrice Small.  Then there is Jude Deveraux, Johanna Lindsey, Karen Marie Moning, Janet Chapman, Lisa Kleypas, and the list goes on and on.
The first romance book that I read was Jude Deveraux’s “A Knight in Shining Armor.”  To this day, it remains my all-time favorite romance novel. And even though the book’s cover is worn, held together with tape, and the pages are turning yellow, I still take it from my shelf and visit its characters at least once a year like an old friend.

9. I haven't watched TV in over 4 years (exception: Game of Thrones) but I am curious to know if you have a favorite show.
I love Game of Thrones too!  Other than the morning news, I don’t watch TV during the day.  I listen to more music than I watch TV.  However, in the evening, there are several shows that I watch but the ones that I DVR would be:  Castle, Rizzoli and Isles, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Haven, Big Bang Theory, Ghost Hunters, and Destination Truth. 

10. How do you have time to balance all that is being Annie Marshall?
Time management, simple as that.  I have to approach my day like a business schedule and stick to it.  I sit down and write out my time budget on my calendar as an author/writer, promoter, book cover designer/promo artist, photographer, Army wife, mom, corgi/kitty owner, and homemaker.  I know it sounds extreme but if I don’t do this, I miss something.  Even the smallest of things can be catastrophic if it’s missed.

11. Who are your favorite characters from your books?
Like children, I love them all for different reasons but I’d have to say the one character that stands out the most is Duncan MacKinnon.
Duncan is the young squire to Iain MacAlister in “Her Highland Destiny” and then later to Aiden MacAlister in “Her Noble Destiny.”  Then he makes a brief appearance in my short story, “Haunted Legacy” as Sheena’s brother.  (Sheena is the heroine in my story of Lust for the DCL “Seven Sins” Anthology.)
I fell in love with this lad who had such a hard life and I didn’t want to say goodbye to him just yet.  I wanted Duncan to grow into a strong and sexy Laird with his own lady love so after discussing this with my muse (the voices in my head) we are now giving him his own story.  The fourth Warrior of Destiny, “Her Chosen Destiny,” is Duncan’s story and my current work in progress.

11. Final thoughts, any message to readers?
I am truly honored that you’ve taken the time out of your day to share a moment with me.  If it wasn’t for you, the readers, my Warriors of Destiny would just be distant voices that I hear in my head.  Blessings to you all!  Haunts and Kilted Kisses!
 

Annie's Bio:


This Ozark Mountain native has been writing short story comedies since Jr. High.  Then after receiving her first kiss in Sr. High, her mind turned to romance and since, these short stories included a romance.

At the age of twenty, she read her first Romance Novel by Jude Deveraux, “A Knight In Shining Armor.”  She was hooked and to this day, it remains her one of her most favorite novels!

Most of Ms. Marshall’s books have a paranormal twist to them.  She loves writing (and reading) about ghosts, time-travel, and old spooky haunted castles.  She also has a deep love for Scotland, Ireland, and Wales and comes from a long family line of Celtic people.

An avid Pembroke Welsh Corgi lover, she is owned by two lively corgis named Aonghus and Hamish plus a sweet black cat named Miss Aella Boo.

Not only is Ms. Marshall an award-winning author of sexy Scots, she is also the Managing Cover Artist and Photographer for DCL Publications, LLC. She also does freelance work as well.

Along with reading and writing about men in kilts, ghosts, and time travel, she loves traveling, going to the beach to collect shells and sea glass, digging for gemstones, and jewelry making!

To learn more about Ms. Marshall plus her upcoming books and appearances, please go to:   www.annie-marshall.com!

You can also follow her at:
Facebook – www.facebook.com/author.anniemarshall
Facebook Fan Page – www.facebook.com/AnnieMarshallCelticRomanceAuthor
Twitter – www.twitter.com/authoramarshall
Goodreads –  www.goodreads.com/author/show/2736192.Annie_Marshall
Annie Marshall Yahoo Group – groups.yahoo.com/group/anniemarshall_paranormalromance
Enchanted Pages – http://www.enchantedpages.com/home.php?pf=2130
Linkedin – http://www.linkedin.com/pub/annie-marshall/32/14b/a36


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the interview and will be adding this book to my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview, Lorie and I truly hope you enjoy "Her Island Destiny!"
      Haunts and Kilted Kisses!
      Annie

      Delete
  2. So excited for you and wishing you the very best! Love your books!

    ReplyDelete