Thursday, August 27, 2015

Finding Gabriel by Rachel L. Demeter


Desperation and despair makes Colonel Gabriel de Laurent want to end his life. Resolved to end it all, Gabriel winds up along the River Seine on a snowy night with a pistol in his mouth. Unfortunately for him, the pistol does not do its job very well and Gabriel winds up on the brink of death.

Ariah Larochelle has had a difficult life, to say the least. Left an orphan at a young impressionable age then betrayed by her best friend, she has had to fight to survive. Trust is a serious issue with this now mother of a young daughter. Ariah lives among poverty awaiting the return of the husband who left for war years before. When she comes across the barely alive Gabriel, her survival instincts flip into high gear as she takes him to her modest home and tasks herself with saving the stranger's life.

Gabriel's injuries are disfiguring, but that isn't the least of it. Ariah's beloved Dr friend tells her that from the wounds, it is obvious there was no foul play involved,but that what occur ed was bu his own hand. Ariah struggles to understand what could bring someone to do that. Even with all that has happened to her in her short life, survival was always the only choice for her. Nursing Gabriel back to health is a job for a saint, for at first he resents that he is still alive and permanently scarred not only on the outside, but to the very depths of his being. 

The more the inconsolable Gabriel spends time with Ariah and her little family, the more he comes to appreciate the second chance he has been given, but those dark secrets of his past still chip away at his soul and it seems the only one who can bring the light to his dark is Ariah. She holds secrets in her heart as well that have shaped the way she has become, but with Gabriel's presence, Ariah sees that there could be a chance for her to trust and love.

FINDING GABRIEL by Rachel L. Demeter is a gut wrenching tale that tugs at the reader's heartstrings and brings tears to your eyes. This story is not for the faint of heart. It is gritty and real and will evoke emotion. I couldn't put it down. Both Ariah's and Gabriel's stories prior to their meeting are emotional roller coasters.  Ms. Demeter's sweeping description of the times and the characters feelings is brilliant, I felt like I was right there alongside Ariah and Gabriel. FINDING GABRIEL is a story that will remain with me for a while for the journey to that HEA almost broke me. Bravo Ms. Demeter for such a memorable tale.

~KIMBERLY~

MEET THE AUTHOR
Rachel L. Demeter



1.       Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Thanks for having me on your lovely blog, Kimberly! I live in beautiful Sunny California with Teddy, my goofy lowland sheepdog, and my high school sweetheart of eleven years. Richard and I began dating during our freshman year and have been together ever since. He’s truly my soul mate and greatest inspiration. I’m so grateful to have found him at such a young age!
I graduated from Chapman University’s film school with a BA in Screenwriting. Even though I’m primarily a novelist, film school deepened my love for crafting fiction tenfold; it taught me to concentrate on plotting, dynamic characters, and effective pacing, as well as the importance of visual storytelling. I wouldn’t trade my college education for anything in the world!
Aside from writing like a madwoman, my interests and pastimes include researching history (especially nineteenth century France and the Middle Ages), reading, singing, cooking, health and fitness, playing the violin, videogames (I’m truly a bit of a nerd at heart!), philosophy, and animals.

2.       What was your inspiration for FINDING GABRIEL?

My lifelong love for tortured heroes/heroines, dark romances, and nineteenth century France. And Finding Gabriel truly embodies my passion for all three.
I had yearned to create a pair of imperfect, emotionally and physically scarred protagonists whose deep affection for each other could triumph over seemingly impossible odds. And Colonel Gabriel de Laurent is very much a haunted soul. His twisted past has hardened his heart and driven him to the brink of desperation. Ariah’s gentle nature and ability to persevere presents the ideal counterpoint to his darkness. Though, like Gabriel, she also suffers from a tragic past.
Nineteenth century France has always been a great passion of mine. It was a time of conflict, political intrigue, art, clashing social norms, and romance. While England’s glittering ballrooms present an elaborate atmosphere, I personally feel these settings can become a bit stuffy and repetitive for readers. In my opinion, Paris lends itself to a darker, freer, more liberating and passionate environment. The characters aren’t as tied down by social norms, and the settings are more rustic and real. Also, I was raised on Paris-set musicals, such as Les Misérables and The Phantom of the Opera—and they continue to inspire my imagination and characters.
Writing Finding Gabriel was a deeply personal experience and a true emotional rollercoaster. At times, the subject matter forced me into uncomfortable and often brutal territories–and the road to Gabriel and Ariah’s Happily Ever After is certainly paved with an abundance of loss, discovery, hope, and, of course, searing passion and relentless love

Every word emerged straight from my soul; I was connected to both Gabriel and Ariah on such a profound level . . . more than I ever imagined possible. When I typed “The End,” I broke into tears. They were no longer characters, but real people and beloved friends. 
I hope that Gabriel and Ariah's journey through darkness touches your heart as much as it did my own.


3.        What are you currently working on?

Many things! My muse has been kind to me recently. I’m thrilled to say that I have several stories in the works, including a historical romance/horror hybrid set in a Victorian asylum, a medieval historical romance, some contemporary romances, and a horror novel. A Kindled Winter, my heart-warming contemporary holiday romance, is scheduled for release in November 2015—so keep on the lookout! :-)

It’s a very exciting (and busy) time!


4.       Did you always want to be a writer? If not, what did you want to be?

Absolutely. Writing is my life’s blood, my passion, and my greatest obsession. It has always been and always will be. I’ve actually been a writer before I physically learned to write. As a child, one of my favorite pastimes was imagining stories and characters while my mom would record them for me, Now, at the ripe age of twenty-seven, my passion for creating dynamic worlds is stronger than ever before!

Honestly, I could be nothing else but a writer.


5.       Who was your favorite character to write and why?

Can I cheat and say both the hero and heroine? Gabriel was an absolute thrill to write, since his characterization contains so much sexy darkness and transient light all wrapped up in one rugged package.
But Ariah is also multilayered, and was fascinating to bring to life. Many facets of her character were inspired by my mom (who is my personal heroine). She’s the strongest, most loyal, compassionate, independent, and sincere person I know—and I worked hard to incorporate these traits into Ariah’s persona. Like Ariah, she always protects the ones she loves at all costs and is willing to sacrifice everything for her family and what she believes is right.

6.       Do you have any role models? If so, who?

My grandparents, who shared the most inspiring and heartfelt love story of all. My grandpa was the most morally grounded, generous, and kind person—and not a day passes by that he isn’t in my heart and thoughts.


7.       Where can you fans meet you?

Oh, I absolutely love interacting with my readers. Let’s connect!

Pinterest (Gosh, I’m so addicted to this site!): http://www.pinterest.com/racheldemeter1
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Rachel-L.-Demeter/e/B00IBKLO06
Author Newsletter (I shall never spam you or be in a nuisance in any way!): http://eepurl.com/LWdD9

Official Site: http://RachelDemeter.net

If you live in the Southern California area, I expect to have some book signings in the upcoming months, and I’d love to meet each and every one of you!


8.       Who are your favorite authors?

To name a few: Gaelen Foley, Elizabeth Hoyt, Lisa Kleypas, Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, Diana Gabaldon, George R. R. Martin, Judith James, and Stephen King. The list goes on and on . . .


9.       What is next for you?

My contemporary holiday themed romance, A Kindled Winter, which releases in November. It’s my first modern set novel and beta hero!

   
10.   What would you like readers to know about you?


You guys are the reason why I write. I’m beyond honored and grateful for the opportunity to share my stories with you. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kimberly!! Thank you so much for the beautiful review and interview. :-) As always, it's a joy to share my stories with you and your readers! <33 Thank you for your continuous support!

    ReplyDelete