Thursday, January 5, 2017

BLOGGING WITH THE #BOC *To Goodreads or Not to Goodreads*



Welcome book lovers to a new Book Obsessed Chicks feature, 'BLOGGING WITH THE #BOC". I hope you will be interested and enjoy this new spot that has been brewing for a while and has finally come to fruition.

This time "goodreads" is the topic of discussion and I imagine, as well as hope there will be questions and comments when all is said and done. The goodreads site is a touchy subject for some and always creates a great debate when mentioned.  Here are a few questions for you... What is goodreads for you? What do you get out of it? What don't you like about it?

When I joined goodreads back in 2009 I wasn't quite sure how to utilize what the site had to offer. At first I started adding all the books I remember reading and adding ratings to them. As time went on, I primarily used goodreads as a place to keep track of what I had read and once in a while, write some thoughts pertaining to books I liked. It became an invaluable tool for me in keeping track of what was on my TBR pile, because honestly, I read a lot, but retention and my brain are not best friends. 

A few years ago, I became a goodreads Librarian and use that status to help my author clients and friends add their upcoming books, covers and descriptions to the site and make changes when necessary.

When it comes to goodreads, I think readers and authors at large either love it or hate it. Let's chat about the Pros and Cons of the site. Please feel free to leave your opinions, questions and comments, because I really would love to know what's on your mind. A huge PRO for me is that from my goodreads Friends list, I see what you all are reading and get your recommendations, which make me very happy.  I LOVE the goodreads Challenge, because it makes me strive to read more for myself and only for myself. I don't feel the need to be in competition with my friends to see who can read more.  Another PRO to this forum, is the ability to find my tribe, the people who enjoy the same books I do and forge a friendship through that. 

To be quite honest, there's only one CON I have about goodreads, but it is a very BIG CON. I absolutely detest the reviews that choose to rip apart a book. Those reviews by trolls who have an agenda to bring an author down. Those reviews by those trolls who haven't even read the book, but rate it with a ONE STAR for no apparent reason. I understand the need to write an honest review, I  don't understand the need for someone to pick apart a book and go as far as using GIFs to embellish the vitriol. What good can come out of this bashing? What good can come out of starring a book that hasn't been read? No good. I find it very interesting that these trolls always hide behind fake names and no photo. I wonder if these so-called reviewers would have the guts to rip an author if they had to use their real name and photo. Somehow I doubt it. 

I always say that reviews are subjective. Everyone has different tastes and thus different opinions. I am happy to read and acknowledge a well written, honest opinion and wish that was the norm on goodreads. 

This year I strive to complete my goodreads Challenge and help my authors and reader friends. I will continue to use the site to keep track of the books I read and want to read and I will try not to let those trolls get to me, but it's hard.

So what's your take on goodreads

~KIMBERLY~





18 comments:

  1. Hi Kim - I have used GR for a couple of years. I keep track of books I have read, including the GR challenge, and also enter contests to win books. I am currently in the We Love Lisa Kleypas group, and we have a monthly challenge of one book. I always rate & sometimes review books that I read. I never write bad reviews. I never put under 3 stars, and most likely would DNF if I really didn't like the book. I agree that there is no reason to rip apart a book or an author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comments... I love the contests!

      Delete
  2. I love Goodreads because I can keep track of what I've read. I love seeing what others are reading and being able to ask questions of the authors. I don't get the people who rip books apart either. I'm sure they are doing it on more than just goodreads though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a Goodreads fan. I keep my own spreadsheet of books I have read and want to read. I don't keep track of how many books I have read. I just enjoy reading and am happy with however many books I get read in a year.I do use it to post reviews especially for ARCs I have received. I do not like how Goodreads allows reviews to be posted on any book, even if it hasn't even been written yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a reader, I have to say that, overall, I like GR. Not only do I enjoy keeping tabs on the books I read, but I also enjoy seeing what my friends are reading. When the mood strikes, I love to leave a thoughtful review of some of the books I've read, too. I really like that GR will alert me when authors I've read have new books out (I like the monthly newsletter). Finally, unlike Amazon and FB and other sites, readers don't seem to be as bombarded with ads and promos on GR. I think that makes it feel more "authentic" (if that makes any sense). That's all the stuff I enjoy as a reader.

    As an author, I like having a forum where I can interact with readers (if they choose), and where I can also see what readers enjoy. I wish I had the time to get more invested in some of the challenges and groups, but my days are busy trying to contribute books for others to enjoy, so I can't do it all. And while no writer loves a bad review (whether well-written or trolled), overall it is educational to see how readers are responding. Many are kind and put thought into the review, which is really appreciated! I like to say I'm a constant work-in-progress, so criticism helps me grow. :-)

    Great post, by the way. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, thanks so much for your take on goodreads!

      Delete
  5. I really love using Goodreads as a database, really. Like you said, keep track of books I want to read or ones that I have read. I mainly post reviews there as a vehicle to help the authors. But I am SO done with the ridiculous reviews from people who 1) Haven't even read the book. 2) Will spend 30 minutes writing a scathing review and 5 mins to write a good one. Those people are only looking for some kind of attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't have consciences... i just don't get the meanness

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post Kimberly. I agree with everything you have stated and to take it further like Margie do not think it is appropriate that people can rate/review books that have been posted in GR's but have not been written yet. In my opinion book/author shaming is bullying and if you cannot write a constructive review do not post one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use GR for my reviews and to keep a list of my books. I also review on Amazon. I am a easy reader and don't expect perfection on every book. It takes a lot for me not to like a book. As long as it has a happy ending and can be a stand alone I am good. If I don't like a book I don't write anything, because everyone reads and enjoys differently. I don't like when people tear apart a book page by page. Authors work hard to put their stories together to tell. GR has had some nasty people review books so I never read any of the reviews. I like seeing what my friends are reading and some also recommend book to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use GR to track how many books I've read and mostly because all the ARCs I read like to have reviews there. I hate the reviews by trolls but I do think a thoughtful, well written, critical review can be useful to an author and to potential readers. I believe it is possible to leave a respectful critical review. Now that I've said that I'll also say I tend to not leave many negative reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use Goodreads to keep track of my books and my own reviews. I rarely read the other reviews because we all have our own opinions and it doesn't usually sway me one way or another. I am from the school that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, you are so right about not being swayed by other people's opinions... Once in a while though, if i see a 1 star review I do read that and am tempted to read the book just to see if the vitriol is true....

      Delete