Friday, February 12, 2016

#BOC Author Roll Call with SYLVIA MCDANIEL










Hi all! I hope you are doing well. Today for the #BOC Author Roll Call, we have Western author Sylvia McDaniel. I first started reading her awesome Burnett Brides series and then came to love her Lipstick and Lead stories. This great author is prolific and I really hope you enjoy the Q&A and then grab some of her books!



1.     Can you please tell us a bit about yourself?

I’ve been writing for over 20 years, which is hard to believe. This year I will have a major birthday and I can’t believe I’m this young. Wow! In 2013 I quit my day job to become a full-time writer after writing 9 historicals for a major New York publisher and then being put out to pasture.

2.     When and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was a late bloomer. I wrote stories in elementary school and then I found boys and was a wayward teenager, but I loved to read. In my late twenties I threw down a romance and said I could do better. I started a book and realized how hard it is to write a good story. (I owe that author whose book I tossed so much for starting me on this journey, Now I understand how hard this journey is.) It took me five years and three books before I was published.

3.     Tell us about your latest work?

 Which one? Katie — American Mail-Order Bride is my favorite and came out in November. Loved writing this book which is part of the series American Mail-Order Bride. Second Chance Cowboy was released this week and it’s the first book that I ever wrote. It’s the one that I rewrote three times and began the journey. In February, I I have Cupid’s Revenge coming out February 5 and then….I have a Kindle World book coming out February 9th. I’m writing in Debra Holland’s world, Montana Sky. I loved my story and I’m hoping her readers and my readers will enjoy the story.


4.     Do you have any mentors? Heroes?

My critique group both past and present partners have all inspired me and taught me something. I’m grateful for what I learned from them and how they pushed me into being a better writer. They are:
Shayla Black
Carol Doss
Kathy Shaw
Jaye Wells
These women have helped me grow as a writer.

5.     Can you tell us your favorite character from your books so far and why?

My favorite hero is Reed Hunter — from The Relationship Coach. This guy is so lost and he is determined to make the heroine look bad, but then he sees the good she’s doing and his job is hard. Critics have said he’s a jerk, but I don’t see him that way. He’s a misguided soul who when he falls, he falls hard. Love this guy.

6.     Was it difficult for you to get published?

 It took me five years and then after nine books, my publisher let me go. It was another five years and then ebooks took off. I LOVE MY JOB AND I LOVE MY EBOOKS. Even without readers, I would continue to write. It fills a void in me and I can create the world I would want to be a part of.

7.     Who are your favorite authors/reads?

Susan Elizabeth Peters
Rachel Gibson
Julie James

8.     Hobbies?

I love to hike and camp and if I could ever get away…fish. I also love to knit.

9.     What is your dream job?

This is my dream job…

10.   Do you have any favorite TV shows?

OMG! When I get to watch TV….I love reality TV. Survivor, Bachelor/Bachelorette, Couples Therapy (these people need help) Big Bang Theory

11.   What’s next for you?

I love to write Western Historicals, but I am going to transition over to some western contemporaries and even some Sci Fi/Paranormal. I need a break from historicals, but I will continue to write them.But please…do we have to have mail-order brides?

12.   Where can we find you?

Instafreebie Giveaways:
Sign up for my newsletter at www.sylviamcdaniel.com for more freebies and giveaways.

13.   What would you like readers to know about you?

I’m just an ordinary person who loves books and stories and creating my own worlds. I put my panties on just like you guys do, but while I do, my mind is twirling with what my characters are going to do today. How can I wreck their world and then bring them back together. How can I make my reader laugh and cry and at the end of the book, sigh and say, “That was a great read.” How can I stretch myself and make me a better writer.I’m always trying to learn and grow and become an even better writer.

1 comment:

  1. Try to access the instafreebies and I had to sign up to access and then when I come back to access it says that I don't have access to the book.

    ReplyDelete