Thursday, February 4, 2016

#BOC CHEERLEADERS FOR ROMANCE PRESENTS ~MARGIE HAGER~



Welcome all the the new Book Obsessed Chicks Feature, CHEERLEADERS FOR ROMANCE. In the world of romance, many authors don't get their fair shake of promotion. From my years attening conferences and being on social media, I have found some really wonderful voices who have no qualms about letting the public know what they're reading and what they are loving. Margie Hager is one of those very awesome ladies. I first met this lady at Lori Foster's RAGT  in 2012.  Since then, Margie and I became fast friends and have been shouting out all over about romance.

Hi Margie and thanks for being so gracious about answering some questions for the Book Obsessed Chicks blog…. I picked you because you are an amazing advocate for the romance genre and you make a difference. I am very happy that you are in my life and are a dear friend.



Please tell us a bit about yourself…
I am a very happy wife, mother of three and grandmother of three beautiful, very active granddaughters. I have lived in the Pittsburgh area most of my life with the exception of a short stint in New Jersey.  I graduated from high school in that naughty year ’69 and from college in ’74.  Then it was work, get married, work, raise kids, back to work, help raise grandchildren. Just your ordinary life loving family and friends.

When did you fall in love with the romance genre?
I was part of the first craze for what they called “bodice-rippers” when Kathleen Woodiwiss and Rosemary Rogers first were published. But back in those days I was really a mystery and fantasy reader so many years passed before I started reading romance novels again.  It was a fantasy author, Jean Johnson and her Sons of Destiny series who lead me to romance books. I was in Ocean City, MD a number of years ago on vacation and stopped in a book store to pick up Jean Johnson’s latest in that series and found her books in the romance section instead of the fantasy and sci-fi section.  I was a goner from there.  I became a romance novel bookaholic.

What made you decide to help spread the word about romance?
I guess I just had to share my enthusiasm for a good thing.  I think more people would enjoy romance novels if they would just pick one up and read it.  I believe lots more people would get hooked. So I shout out and share book releases and fun news about authors and books.

Who are your favorite authors?
I have many favorite authors.  I can name a few here but this list is just the tip of the iceberg.
Desiree Holt (I just love her!), Cherise Sinclair, Lexi Blake, Shayla Black, Gaelyn Foley, Kallypso Masters, Allison Brennan, Marie Force, Elle Boon, Cat Johnson, Carolyn Brown, Kresley Cole, Bella, Andre, Lorelei James, Susan Stoker, Shannon Stacey – and many more.

Do you have any advice for others who want to be romance cheerleaders?
If you love it, share it.  Enthusiasm about an author can be contagious.  That’s a good thing!

What new books have you been shouting out about lately?
I’ve been bitten by the Susan Stoker bug.  I discovered her when she wrote a book in Cat Johnson’s Kindle World. Susan’s story was part of her SEAL of Protection series. I started with the first book in the series and binge read my way through.  I couldn’t stop.  I always comment for her books, “I bet you can’t read just one.” She just released the last book in that series last month, SEAL of Protection. 
I’ve also been on a kick of reading books that involve magic. Deanna Chase writes a great series about Jade Calhoun, another series I couldn’t stop reading once I started.  The latest Jade Calhoun story, A Miracle on Bourbon Street, is in a box set, Hex the Halls.

What do you do when you’re not shouting out about great books?
I don’t work a full-time paying job.  I do, however, put many hours into watching my granddaughters and hauling them around to all their many sports and activities.
Then there’s my hobby (obsession), planning and putting together charity raffle baskets.  I get a lot of enjoyment from doing this and the fact that these baskets help make money for some wonderful charities is the icing on the cake. I also beta-read for Desiree Holt. 

Your Top 10 in Romance….
This is just impossible.  I can’t rank a Top 10. I’d have trouble answering even if I indicated series. But I will give this a shot:
Rodeo Heat by Desiree Holt – a beautiful beginning to many many super reads.
Shannon Stacey’s Kowalski Series
Lorelei James’ Rough Riders Series
Marie Force’s McCarthys of Gansett Island Series
Allison Brennan’s Lucy Kincaid Series
Cherise Sinclair’s Masters of the Shadowlands Series
Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark Series
Bella Andre’s Sullivans Series
The Cowboy’s Christmas Baby by Carolyn Brown (any Carolyn Brown book)

Justice For Mackenzie by Susan Stoker 


3 comments:

  1. Awesome article and interview with Margie. Loved it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Kimberly and Margie!! You two are both romance rockstars! Kimberly, thanks for giving us a chance to get to know sweet Margie a little better!! Read on, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I don't believe the two of you are as innocent as that pic says. Great article about a great lady! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete